Published March 2021
The Regulatory Reform Order 2005 (England & Wales) and the Fire Act 2005 (Scotland) underline the potential hazard of flame spread on painted surfaces as being a factor to be considered in a fire risk assessment. Multiple layers of conventional paint coatings, whether water or solvent-borne, can make a previously non-combustible surface dangerous by their potential to burn, spreading fire rapidly and turning communal areas into a mass of flames in seconds. Thus a surface with an original Class 0 fire rating can be downgraded to a Class 2 or worse.
Building owners have a duty of care to achieve and maintain conditions in buildings that reduce risk of injury, risk to life and damage to property in the event of a fire. This includes the legislation highlighted above.
Conventional paints are not formulated to slow down the spread of flame in the event of fire. It is only with the use of specially formulated flame retardant paints that the fire rating of painted surfaces can be improved. Crown Trade Timonox offers a cost effective solution – the formulation of Crown Trade Timonox products gives the range unparalleled flame retardant properties and complies with current BS and European fire test standards. All elements of the Crown Trade Timonox brand meet the regulations now and will continue to do so even if the British Standard tests are phased out. This means that Crown Trade Timonox can be specified for tomorrow’s applications, as well as today’s.
For specifiers, building owners and facilities managers…
Crown Trade Timonox systems offer a comprehensive flame retardant solution and provide:
- Improved flame retardancy of a surface
- Independently assessed systems on a variety of substrates (new combustible, non-combustible and previously painted new non-combustible substrates)
- Class 0, the highest rating when tested to BS476, Parts 6 & 7
- Class B, the highest rating when tested to European tests BS EN ISO 11295-2 and BS EN 13823
- Test certification of systems
- A range of decorative paint finishes
- Anti-graffiti options
- Extensive colour offering – Equalities Act 2010
- Quality Assured – BS EN ISO 9001:2000
- Site specific survey and Coating Conditions Survey
- Tailored specification based on Coating Conditions Survey
For decorators and contractors…
Crown Trade Timonox systems are painter-friendly, requiring only conventional application techniques and provide:
- Flame retardant overcoating of correctly prepared and well-adhered paint coatings to wall and ceiling surfaces without compromising on colour or decorative finish
- Comprehensive technical and sales support
- Water-borne or solvent-free products for ease of use (therefore minimising disruption to building occupants)
- Excellent coverage
- Dependable quality
Specifying our products for a project?
It’s never been easier to create a Crown Paints or M60 specification thanks to our useful tool. Simply create a specification, add colour and save your documents to your area for future use.